Pages

Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Soft Machine Live on French TV





When I first discovered the music of the Soft Machine back in the mid-1990s it was nothing short of revelatory. The first album I ever bought (on the recommendation of a graffiti artist I knew) was their 1970 double album Third Third Third, which offered up a musical experience that took me far beyond the psychedelic rock I had been primed to expect from a band that had made its debut in many of the same London clubs as Pink Floyd and the Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

What I found instead was four sides of extended jazz-rock improvisation, but with a four-piece brass section at the forefront which helped break open the form of the four minute pop song into a wider and more expansive realm of jazz harmonies and crazed noodling.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment